The Biblioteca Pública Estadual Luiz de Bessa is a democratic space in excellence. Providing free access to information and recreational reading, its main goal is to collect, preserve and make available to the public the literary heritage of Minas Gerais.
Located in Praça da Liberdade, 21, next to the Palácio da Liberdade. The Library was built in 1954 by Governor Juscelino Kubitschek. However, only in 1961 that started to operate at its current address. The building, designed by architect Oscar Niemeyer, was listed by Instituto Estadual do Patrimônio Histórico e Artístico de Minas Gerais.
With about two hundred and thirty thousand titles available, the collection of the Biblioteca Pública Estadual Luiz de Bessa brings together rare works and Works of Brazilian writers, Minas Gerais’ authors of an important collection of all ages, as well as magazines and newspapers - current and historical -, newsletters, books, literature, children's collection, significant amount of titles in Braille, audiobooks and also a wide digitized collection. The Library also has rooms for study and research via the Internet, theater with capacity for two hundred and twenty people, places for courses and art galleries.
In the year two thousand, the library was expanded with the incorporation of the building Professor Francisco Iglesias, an adjacente building from Secretaria da Fazenda, in Rua da Bahia, passing to house the Empréstimo Domiciliar sector, the Referência e Estudos sector, the Sala de Pesquisa via Internet and the Sala de Estudos.
Visiting the Biblioteca Pública Estadual Luiz de Bessa, be sure to check the panel from the artist Amilcar de Castro painted on its outer side wall. Moreover, visit and delight with the Rare Works collections of Minas Gerais art.
Biblioteca Pública Estadual Luiz de Bessa